Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Sitting Here

Monday I picked up my books for my semester at SEMO. I'm excited and nervous as I start fulltime college for the first time in four or five years as a 27 year old man. I'll be classified as a junior. I started reading my book for Symbolic Logic. That'll be a real fun one.
Last night we had a get together at our house for the kids that went to camp and a few friends. It was good. We visited, looked at pictures, watched videos. It was a generally good time. I think the kids enjoyed themselves. Judging by how wild my kids were I would say that they've missed having YoungLife at our house with all the rowdy kids. They sure feed on the interaction with high school kids. I have four-and-a-half and almost-three-year-old teenagers.
I'm listening to the new Relient K. I haven't listend to these guys in a couple of years. Dang. They've gotten really good in the past few years. I'm glad to see them shed their Christian rock skin and step out into the world for a bit.

I'm waiting for a couple of books to get here from Amazon. They're both about the Eastern Orthodox tradition, and specifically about protestants finding a home in the orthodox church, drawn by the mystery and kept by the orthodoxy. It seems to me that the Orthodox church really does have the key to the relational hermeneutic we're searching for. A hermeneutic that doesn't have to have infallibility or an infallible boss to guide it. They simply rely on centuries of church tradition and struggle to guide their search for truth. Anyways, I'm excited to read these books:
Becoming Orthodox by Fr. Peter Gillquist
Facing East by Frederica Matthews-Green

I'll post about them as I read them.

No comments: