Sunday, February 18, 2007

Forgiveness Sunday

This was one of those days when we got up early and drove to Liturgy in St. Louis. The kids were medium to good. That's pretty good considering.
After Liturgy was the Cheesefare Sunday Luncheon. Yum. And after that was Forgiveness Vespers, which are the official start of Lent.
During Forgiveness Vespers Micah and I were up in the choir loft, and I noticed he was getting a bit distracting, so I went to reprimand him. He looked at me with his 'serious face' and said, "it wasn't me. It was that boy who looks just like me." Nice. I stifled a laugh and reprimanded him for lying. At least he gets points for creativity.
Well, Forgiveness Vespers is (one of) the home(s) of the penitential Prayer of St. Ephraim:

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despondency, lust for power and idle talk.(Prostration)

But grant unto me, Thy servant, a spirit of chastity, humility, patience and love.(Prostration)

Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see mine own faults and not to judge my brothers and sisters. For blessed art Thou unto ages of ages.
Amen.(Prostration)

O God, cleanse Thou me a sinner (12 times, with as many bows, and then again the whole prayer from the beginning throughout, and after that one great prostration)

Here's the link to my post on Forgiveness Vespers from last year.

So, if I've offended you in any way (and I'm sure I have) in the last year, please forgive me. And may God forgive us all.

No comments: